Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ahh, that Sweden...

First snow. I admit - it was kind of magic :)
Dear all,

I know it`s been a while since my last blog post here about my new life in Sweden. Even some international friends told me that they haven`t seen me for years. That is quite true. I was invisible a bit and pretty busy (FOI courses, Swedish courses, WLM) but I am here! :) And I feel very good! 
It`s been almost two months since I`ve been in Sweden.
Time is really flying! But really, really flying! 

So how am I?
I think I finally feel that going to Sweden and studying at Mid Sweden University was one of the best decisions I made lately. You should have seen me first few days, though. I was complaining about this and that (my poor family... I think they really felt sorry for me) but now I am doing great. Weeee! :)
  • Sundsvall is nice. Even though I was surprised to see the first snow last week (it was middle of October) and even though it is very cold here if I compare it with my home country, I am used to those things now. There is my "standard" uniform for going out here: scarf, cap, gloves, warm jacket and boots and then world is perfect.
P.S. Have I told you I like scarves? Xmas, New Year, graduation day, b-day is coming... So if you are wondering how to surprise me and make me very happy - buy me a new scarf. :) Ahhh, I still remember packing my suitcases for Sweden with my mom... it was SO HARD to decide which scarf is going with me since I had weight limit. Ohhh, memories...
  • Mid Sweden Uni or Miun as we call it is so...I dunno, so relaxed I think if I compare it to my home uni. I have a feeling that Swedish students have much more free time and they have relaxed and easy relationships with their professor than we do in Croatia. It was so strange to me at the beginning, but now I think it would be so strange to me to come back to home uni. Luckily, this is my last semester so I don`t have to worry about FOI lectures anymore.
  • International students are really good. I am happy I met so many different people from the whole world. Of course you can`t be closed and agree with everyone, but in addition it is very nice to meet them all. I just think I need to spend more time with real Swedish people. :) I know just a few of them. And I want to try some real Swedish food. I heard they use a lot of cranberry sauce. It would be nice to try it. I won`t refuse some real Swedish dinner for sure. :D

Cranberry sauce (umak od brusnice)

I found very funny facts about Sweden and how do you know you`ve been in Sweden too long:
  • The first thing you do upon entering a bank/post office/chemist etc. is to look for the queue number machine. [Ohh yess...] 
  • Hugging is reserved for sexual foreplay. [I really haven`t noticed any couples here holding their hands or hugging each other. Swedes are not romantic or what?? :) ]
  • You no longer see any problem wearing white socks with sandals.  [I mean, REALLY?]
  • You have conversations with people outside when it is –10C. [heheheh]
  • You get extremely annoyed when the bus is two minutes late.  [Ohh yes... Remember my Alnon adventure :P]
  • You think women are more than equal than men and deserve to have better positions in the work place. [Indeed]
  • Paying $6 for a cup of coffee seems reasonable. [Nooot]
  • You start to differentiate between types of snow.  [We will see that!]
  • You accept that you will never again wear your beautiful stiletto heels because:> a: there's snow everywhere and even if you did then,> b: you still have to take them off at the door which instantly ruins the hitherto glamorous line of whatever you were wearing as you drop, 10cm, onto your flat feet in your short and sexy little black dress. Not the same effect at all. [Unfortunately]
  • You think it is normal EVERYTHING is regulated and you obey the rules voluntarily.  [heheh]
  • When returning to "civilisation" you hear yourself saying TACK all the time. [hahahah]
Enjoy in the rest of facts by yourself! :)

I hope I will find some time to go for a walk these days and take a lot of pictures of Sundsvall in autumn before winter comes. Till then, enjoy in one of my favorite songs ever!  
Hej då!





2 comments:

  1. By cranberry sauce I suppose you mean the jam, lingonsylt. That is actually not made of cranberries. They are called lingonberries in english.
    Actually we don´t eat that much lingonberries. ;) But it works well with potatoes and different kind of meat, and porrige. You can try some dishes for your next meals.

    Breakfast: Oatmeal porridge with milk and lingonberryjam

    Porridge
    100 ml Oatmeal (havregryn)
    200 ml Water or Milk
    Very little salt
    You can also have some sugar.
    Put it in a wide bowl and 2 minutes in the microwave. Then you eat it with milk and lingonberries.

    Lunch: Potato cakes with bacon and lingonberry jam
    Buy "Potatisbullar" from the freezing counter in Ica. Fry them in a pan or in the oven. Sometimes it is meat in the potato cakes, otherwise you fry some bacon too have beside. Serve the potato cakes with lingonberries.

    Dinner: Meatballs, mashed potatoes, cremesauce, and lingonberryjam
    You can make your own meatballs, mashed potato, and sauce but you can also buy it in Ica. (Köttbullar) from the freezing counter, mashed potato powder (Potatismos) and saucepowder (Gräddsås or Brunsås), and then just read how to do... :) Serve it with lingonberries.

    Next day you can start all over again. :) Ovenpancakes with lingonberries... Reindeersauce with mushrooms, potatoes and lingonberries... You can even make a lingonberry cake if you want to. :) Or you can bake your own bread with lingonberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thank you Linnea for sharing your recipes with me (us). :)
    I might try to make sth.

    ReplyDelete