Thursday, October 11, 2012

Her majesty Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis in the front of my apartment
On Tuesday very late in the evening we could see a natural light display in the Sundsvall sky which is showing particularly in the high latitude of Arctic and Antarctic regions. It is caused by the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere. It is called northern lights or aurora borealis. (Well, of course Google helped me here). I didn`t know how to explain it although I still remember my strict teacher from the primary school and giving her best to describe the northern lights in simple words. I also thought it would be great to see that one day in the future and that day ALMOST came.

Why almost? Because I didn`t make it and saw it properly! Grrrrr.... I was doing something on my laptop as usual and then promised to myself not to go and check Facebook (Does it sound familiar?) and I REALLY wasn`t checking Facebook for some time. And then it turned out I should have because there I noticed Natalia`s great picture of aurora borealis acroos the sky in Nacksta, our place.

Then I moved my curtains from the window - didn`t see anything.
I ran on my balcony but still didn`t see anything.
Then I even ran outside (I just put my coat over pajamas) and still didn`t see almost nothing.

Northern lights disappeared. She could wait a bit so I can see her, don`t you think so? 

BUT, she will come again I am sure this time I will see her. There are more international students who didn`t make it to see the aurora borealis too but we are all very grateful to Natalia who took the excellent picture of it and made our day! Well done, Natalia! :) (Ahhh, Polish people, you must love them!)
One important lesson learned though - always check your Facebook! :D

I finally tried Swedish cinnamon bun!
So, morning after seeing/not seeing aurora borealis the International desk made a little surprise for all international students and showed us how they celebrate a sweet Swedish tradition - Cinnamon bun day. They prepared a little quiz about Sweden`s and Mid Sweden`s University history and facts.  Alex won on that quiz and got the Miun T-shirt (Ahhh I wanted it so badly :D.)

Delicious cinnamon buns
Cinnamon bun`s recipe
Cinnamon buns are good. Jocahim told me they are way better when they are warm and especially along with a hot beverage of some sort. I have to try that! :) Then we will see!

Anyway, I will also take this chance and say few words about the International desk here at Mid Sweden Uni. Girls who work there are really great and always ready to help you by giving you advice and telling you where you can find a good dentist for example (my teeth is better, thank God and the world is a better place now) or how to reach your professor and so on. 
Amanda, Cecilia and Sara thank you for being so nice to us! :)

See you guys! Enjoy the rest of the week. Weekend is near. Do you have any plans?

Your Maja

No comments:

Post a Comment